Thursday, November 25, 2010

Karah Parshad

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Most of us go to the temple to pray to God to fulfill our wishes.Many times, we make a deal with God that if our wish comes true, we will offer him many things!!!  But, believe me,I go to temple only to have parshad. Yes, I am fascinated(!!!! is this the right word??) about the food that is distributed in the temples. Even though its simple and limited, the taste is divine.
The same thing I feel with baby's food. The food prepared for babies or small kids, is very tasty and if we make the same food for ourselves, it won't taste the same.
Today I tried this sweet or halwa which is distributed in Gurudwara. I always tasted this in Dubai Gurudwara. And thought of trying it my self. I started browsing the net and got  This.
The taste was good, but there were two things which went wrong:
One is I was late in adding the water and second is I felt the ghee is too much for the quantity.
 My parshad came out dark in color but the taste was good.
 The Karah Parshad what Sindhi's make is dry but in this water is added.
Lets go to the recipe:



 Ingredients:
Wheat flour - 1 cup
Ghee - 1 cup(But I feel 3/4th cup is enough)
Sugar - 1 cup
Water - 2 cup

Method:
  1. Take a thick bottomed pan and roast the wheat flour till light brown.
  2. Add ghee and sugar and mix well.
  3. Keep on stirring or else the halwa will get burnt.
  4. Stop cooking once the halwa starts leaving the sides.
  5. You can add cardamom powder or nuts to these. But usually it is served plain like this in Gurudwara.
  6. I am not sure how has this come out and want to apologize if there is any mistake in it.
Sending this to 
which is started by Nayna  of simply.food
Keep Smiling,

9 comments:

Deepti Sidana said...

Hey Nivedita,
I just read your nostalgic post about Karah parshad.After following the link which you had used as a guide for making this dish,I realize you may be right about the quantity of Ghee.
I have explained the reasons for using mor or less ghee for the parshad in my post
http://a-hint-of-spice.blogspot.com/2010/03/karah-prashad.html

Hope that helps

Unknown said...

I have had wheat halwa before...something like this...and it surely tastes pretty good!...nice recipe, will try it sometime!

Priya Suresh said...

Even i was fascinated about the temple foods..Karah parshad looks sooo yummy..

Shivani said...

thats an good alternative for regular semolina 'sheera'. Never tried this prasad, but will soon.

Anonymous said...

hi Nivedita...that was a good try..luved ur effort! am sooo ashamed...i hv been blogging about punjabi food n still havnt added this recipe...:(
keep up the good wrk dear...tc :)

Gayathri Kumar said...

Halwa looks nice.

Padmajha said...

Looks yumm Nive :)

Jayalaxmi said...

Halwa looks yummy ! Nivedita to tell you the truth even I love temple food.

Unknown said...

I love this prasad and have similar one on my blog too. Very yummy :)

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog