Friday, August 27, 2010

Garlic Rice,Curd Rice and Chutney Rice(Leftover delicacies)

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Left over rice can be used to make many yummy dishes Most of the time I make more rice in the night to prepare some thing from it, the next day.
My preparation depends on the texture of the rice.
If it is hard and grains apart, I make garlic rice
If its soft I go for curd rice.
And if its very soft and mushy, I use it for making Thalipeeth.
Giving here recipe for garlic rice, curd rice and chutney rice.

Garlic Rice:
This is my favorite rice when I want to have a spicy food. 


Left over rice - 1 cup
Onion - 1 small, finely chopped
Curry leaves - few
Garlic - 8 to 10 small cloves( 4 to 6 if taking big one)
Chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds -1 tsp
Salt taste
Sugar - 1 tsp
Fresh coriander - 1 tbsp, chopped to garnish
Heat oil in a kadai. When hot, add mustard seeds and wait till splutter. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, onion and fry for few seconds.  Add crushed garlic and fry till brown. Add chilly powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well. Add the rice, mix well. Add sugar and fresh coriander. Cook for a minute. Cover and keep for few minutes for rice to get the garlic flavor. 
Enjoy hot garlic rice.
Single serve


Curd Rice:
When the rice becomes watery or soft, it best to make curd rice. What will soothe you in summer? A bowl of curd rice kept in the fridge for sometime before you eat it.




Left over cooked rice : 1cup
Curds or fresh yogurt - 1/2 cup
Milk -2 tbsp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – few
Red dry chilli -3 broken
Urad dal – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Fresh coriander – 1 tbsp, chopped to garnish

 Mix the rice, curds, milk, salt and sugar in a serving bowl and keep it aside.
In a kadai, heat oil, add mustard seeds. Wait till splutter. Add urad dal and fry till golden color. Add red dry chilly and curry leaves. Fry for another minute. Add this to the rice. Mix well. Garnish with fresh coriander. Keep in the refrigerator before you serve.

COCONUT CHUTNEY RICE :
I am not a chutney person. But my family loves chutney. My husband likes to have the coconut chutney even with Poha!
Coconut chutney is always there in my house. But as I do not like, I use it in many recipes. I use it to make masala for the gravy. I use it to make masala majjige. 
But my favorite is rice. This coconut rice tastes very good. Try it and you will agree with me.

Leftover cooked rice - 1 cup
Oil - 1 tsp
Ready coconut chutney(you can say ' leftover chutney') - 3 to 4 tbsp
For my normal chutney recipe, click this.
Salt to taste(less, as there is salt in the chutney already)
Now, other ingredients will depend on what is there in your chutney. 
As my chutney has all the ingredients, I do not put anything.

Heat oil in kadai. Add the chutney. Fry for few minutes, till it changes its color. Add the rice. Mix well and saute for few minutes or till you get coconut aroma. Its aroma will remind you of the rice which is served in Brahmin or  Udupi marriages or temples.

These three rice plates(bowls!!) are going to 
PJ's ongoing event,


Keep Smiling,

14 comments:

Sanyukta Gour(Bayes) said...

looks yum ,delicious and mouthwatering....wonderful pics...

Deepthi Shankar said...

nice dishes. I love making use of leftover rice

Niv said...

waw, very useful recipes for the household. Am sure next time i dont have to think much with left over rice in front of me, thanks for sharing

Hari Chandana P said...

very nice post.. thanks for sharing !!

Anonymous said...

hmmmm...i jus love rice!!!! and these new avatars of rice r definetly gonna make me fall more deeply in love with em....thanx fr sharing Nivedita :)

http://punjabifooddiary.blogspot.com/

chef and her kitchen said...

Nice use of left over's..love the garlic rice...

Sanjeeta kk said...

Love the prudent use of leftovers Nivedita!

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

3 varieties from left over rice,thank u for sharing.

notyet100 said...

all three look yum,.;-)

sonu said...

all three rice dishes looks delish..loved the idea of chutney rice..quite innovative..

sonu said...

all three rice dishes looks delish..loved the idea of chutney rice..quite innovative..

Padmajha said...

Perfect entries for the event.Thanks for sending them across Nive :)

sonu said...

all three rice dishes looks delish..loved the idea of chutney rice..quite innovative..

Unknown said...

Nivedita, I am a chutney person too and am drooling over coconut chutney rice. I do eat it that way too... lol :)

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog