Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Carrot and Bread Halwa

Tried and tasted by Nivedita 
Hi All,
After the event round up, I keep on trying halwa recipes from my friend's blog. Last week, I tried microwave bread halwa. Today it was  Nithu from Nithu's Kitchen'  turn. But, when I went through the recipe, and checked my kitchen, I did not had khoya and condensed milk. (I got big tins, which I did not wanted to use it for so small quantity) But I wanted to try the Halwa with carrot and bread.
And Here I came with my version, which was really relishing.

I too make this halwa very often(Carrot burfi), and it is very normal to use the milk in this Halwa, but I decided to quit it and use the malai or fresh cream which is formed on the top layer of milk, after the milk is boiled on slow flame for long time.(from the milk, which I store and make ghee) 
You can use the ready made fresh cream also.

Ingredients :
Carrot - 3 big, cleaned and grated
Measure the quantity. If it is 2 cups,
add
Sugar - 1 1/3 cup or less (as per your taste)
Fresh Cream - 3 tbsp
Bread - 2 big pieces, crushed.
Sugar - 2 tbsp (this is to garnish the halwa, there is a twist in the taste for these sugar granules!!!)
Ghee - 2 tbsp + 1 tsp
Cardamom Powder - 1 tsp
Dry ginger or clove powder - 1/4 tsp(optional)
grated or crushed nuts - 2 tbsp (I used Cashew nuts and almonds)

Procedure :
Mix the grated carrot and sugar in a bowl and keep it aside for 10 to 15 minutes.
Till then, heat 1 tsp ghee in a thick kadai or vessel (in which you are going to prepare the halwa) and fry these nuts.
Keep aside.
In the same vessel, add the carrot and sugar mix(by this time, the sugar will start leaving water)
Keep on high flame and fry it for few minutes, but keep on stirring.
Once the sugar mixes well with it and you will not see the sugar granules, add fresh cream. Mix well. Add the crushed bread pieces.
Keep on frying till the raw smell goes. 
Now add cardamom powder, dry ginger powder(or clove powder). Fry for few more minutes. You can add some more cream if you feel its getting dried.
Add the fried nuts and ghee. Mix well and cook till the mix starts leaving its sides.
Be careful and be in front of the vessel, by stirring it in between.
It takes 15 minutes to get the halwa done.
And it serves 2 to 3 persons.

Remove from heat. Allow it to cool.
Before serving add the sugar, mix well and serve chilled.
You will enjoy those sugar granules in your mouth with the yummy halwa!!!

Keep Smiling,

15 comments:

Kiran said...

Carrot braed halwa looks delicious

kitchen queen said...

lovely and innovative idea of bread and carrot combo.

Satya said...

u r very creative dear ...halwa looks so colorful n inviting ...love the combo ...bookmarked ...hey nivedita i just want to know when ur event going to start ??did i miss something ..plez let me know ..thanks q

Food for 7 Stages of Life said...

That looks delicious Nive

Unknown said...

wow, that is a good one, need to try it out myself. Hey, as you used kind of bookmarked recipe, please link it to my bookmarked recipes event.

http://mharorajasthanrecipes.blogspot.com/2010/08/bookmarked-recipes-every-tuesday-event_09.html

Unknown said...

LOvely halwa....

Nitha said...

Delicious halwa..

Sanjeeta kk said...

Looks yummy. Very tempting and mouth watering. Like the color of the halwa.

Pavithra Srihari said...

looks delicious dear

chef and her kitchen said...

Looks really yummy....new combo..

Nivedita Thadani said...

HI all
Thanks for the comments. I got this combo idea from Nithu and did the variation.
@ Satya : I have already announced the event with recipe on Saturday
click here for the details:
http://niveditaskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/08/event-announcement-cook-and-click.html
Hope to see you all in it.

Hari Chandana P said...

woww .gr8 idea nivedita.. looks really tempting and beautiful.. thanks for sharing !!

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Halwa looks delicious and mouth watering

sra said...

Okay, thanks for pointing me to a khoya substitute.

Poonam said...

Never used bread in halwa, that is so innovative!!

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog