Saturday, March 15, 2014

JAGGERY MUSTARD INSTANT MANGO PICKLE ~MAHARASHTRA SPECIAL FOR ICC, FEBRUARY

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
How are you all? I am happy to be again in Indian Cooking Challenge this month. And I am happy to take this challenge because I need to use mangoes and that too are from our trees. Its always a very happy feeling to use the vegetables, fruits grown from our backyard. Now a days, I use raw mangoes in everything. In rice, chutney, curry, upma, thalipeeth... list goes on.

And now Srivalli"s challenge. 
She has followed Varada's recipe which is really just perfect for this season. Its sweet, its sour, its tangy and it has the fresh taste of fresh mustard seeds... Ohh! I really loved it. Thanks to Valli and Varada. The color of the dish itself drives you crazy!!

Visit VALLI'S PAGE TO SEE HER VERSION INSTANT MANGO PICKLE


Ingredients:
Raw mango - 1/4 kg
Part I~
Mustard seeds(small and red ones) - 1/2 cup
Methi seeds - 1/2 tsp
Haldi- 1 tbsp
Red chilli powder - 1/4 cup(color should be strong)
Jaggery - 3/4 cup(original recipe has 1cup)
Salt - 1/2 cup
water - 1/2 cup or less, (add little first)












For tempering
Oil -1/2 cup(I have used ground nut oil)
Mustard seeds -1/2 tsp
Haldi -1/2 tbsp
HIng -1/2 tsp



Method:
Wash and peel the mangoes.
Deseed and cut into small cubes(smaller the better)
or
grate it into a pulp.(I liked the cubes)
Heat oil in a kadai.
Add the mustard seeds, allow to splutter.
Add haldi and hing.
Remove from the fire and allow it to cool fully.

Mix all the ingredients under part one and turn into fine paste.
Add this to the mango cubes. Mix well.
Pour the tempered oil.
Mix well, adjust the seasoning.
Enjoy this super duper pickle for breakfast, lunch, dinner.... or in between as a snack with bread or biscuit or chips...




Keep Smiling,

22 comments:

Unknown said...

luks yummy!!!

Srivalli said...

Wonderful if you use your home grown vegetables and fruits right..mangoes look so good..

Resna said...

Wow super yummy pickle....

Anonymous said...

It's one of my fav pickles.. mango pickel yum :) i love to have it with some daal n paratha.. do u know dear how to make imli pickle.. if yes, please share it with us sometime
thanks for sharing bless you

Padmajha said...

Hi Nive!How are you? Nice to see you back in ICC.
Its really great that you could use home grown mangoes. Must have tasted extra special :)

Priya Suresh said...

Mouthwatering here, send me some.

Neeva.in said...

Very nice post, impressive. its quite different from other posts. Thanks for sharing.
kitchen hardware wholesalers in india

Priya Satheesh said...

So true.. Home grown veggies gives a lovely feeling while cooking. Lip smacking !

Pavani said...

Love this sweet and sour mango pickle. It is so quick and easy to make too.

Vidya Narayan said...

I love this and it kinda looks and feels like Methamba (Maharashtrian speciality). I make this every year when mangoes are in season and it gets consumed more than vegetables on the plate .. ha ha .. very tempting to pair it with breakfast specials and lunch too. Great share.

Give Me Some Spice said...

I love mango pickle but can't get raw pickle mangoes. I will try this recipe with some hard green mangoes as I am sure the spices in the pickle will make it very tasty.

Simplyfood said...

Nothing beats the taste of homemade pickle, can’t wait for mangoes to arrive in UK to recreate this lovely recipe.

Unknown said...

My mouth has started watering seeing the pictures of pickle. Love the sweet, spicy and tangy taste of pickle.

Ruchi's Veg Kitchen said...

Love this Sweet and sour pickle.. super yummmm

Hayley said...

yes, I second Vidya..this recipe is so similar to methamba which is my favourite pickle..so yummy and finger licking. Perfect with Gujarati Thepla..oh boy, this looks so delicious!

code2cook said...

wow loved this n bookmarked. with this recipe I remembered my naniji. this taste superb with parathas or poori.

cookingwithsapana said...

Omg this pickle is making me literally drool. I have a thing for pickles and this one with raw mangoes sounds tempting.

Ritu Tangri said...

Wow! Sweet n sour mango pickle...love this, but will have to wait till mango season. Bookmarked

Lathiya said...

Wow.. looks lipsmacking...I love mango pickle and this looks delicious

Avin said...

Love the pickle. Never tried with Jagger. I am sure it's delicious. 😊

Sharmila kingsly said...

Have been looking for recipes with raw mango this is perfect and delicious.. Yummy..

jayashree said...

I love mango pickle, tastes good with any food. One of the essentials at home.

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog