Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Raw Mango Chutney - the best chutney from my kitchen

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi All,
Mangoes! Mangoes!! everywhere! I love mangoes! who doesn't?? Its always fun for me to try new recipes with Mango. This chutney I made yesterday back was just too yummy to finish!!! yes, I did not wanted to finish it fast so kept on nibbling like a mouse(nibbling the cheese).
Its the usual method which is prepared in each house. But this time it tasted some thing special.
Here is the recipe I want to give before I forget as I just went on adding the ingredients (imagining the taste) available in front of me  :-)
Two days back, we got mangoes from our trees in the garden. Mom ordered to keep the good mangoes to make pickle. I used the broken mango to make this chutney.

Ingredients:
Raw Mango - 1, big

To roast with 1 tsp oil
Urad dal - 1 tbsp
Chana dal - 1 tbsp

Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp

Dry coconut - 1/4 cup, grated
Sesame seeds - 1 tsp(optional, but I love it)
Ginger - 1/2", cleaned and chopped
Dry coriander seeds - ONLY 4 TO 6 SEEDS
Methi seeds - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - handful
Dry red chilly - 1

To add 
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder - 1 tbsp
Jaggery - 1 tbsp
Hing - stoned- one pepper size or  a pinch of powder
Oil - 1tsp
Water to make the chutney wet, may be few drops or just 1/4 cup


Method :
  • Wash and peel the mango, cut into cubes or grate it.
  • Heat a tsp of oil in a pan, 
  • Start adding the things the way I have written down the ingredients. Slowly roasting one by one till red chilly.
  • Once everything is roasted well and you get nice aroma, Add the mango, fry for a minute and remove from the fire.
  • Allow it to cool.
  • Add all the ingredients and grind into a coarse paste, adjust the seasoning and grind again but keep it coarse.
  • The raw mango chutney is ready to serve..


Yesterday I ate it with Jowar Dosa for breakfast, I ate with chapati for lunch and I had with hot rice for dinner.

And again today morning I had it with Thalipeeth, still saved it for tomorrow(Ants are great inspiration for me :-)) My friend saved the chutney by coming as I prepared Chinese food and I had no option to eat it :-)


Have I gone mad??? no I have gone mango :-))))))

Keep nibbling,
oops!!!
Keep Smiling,

14 comments:

M D said...

Lovely chutney, this is a common at my place.

Nivedita Thadani said...

HI
Thanks for so quick comment,
This is very common chutney recipe by adding or skipping few ingredients, however the mango chutney tastes great right? :-)

Nitha said...

yummmm..

divya said...

This looks inviting and delicious...

Hema Mahen said...

Looks mouth watering...

Unknown said...

You have gone mango, like I like to do in this season, I try to do everything with mango, specially chutneys. Yours looks drool-worthy !!!

Priya Suresh said...

Slurp,tongue tickling chutney..simply inviting..

turmericnspice said...

i love mangoes....make somethig similar....and it is always a blockbuster!!

Kurinji said...

Tickling my taste buds....Lovely presentation. Bookmarked:-)
Kurinjikathambam

Unknown said...

Lovely and colourful chutney......

Radhika said...

I make the same way but leave out jaggery. Yummy. I make it so often during the season time that u get tired of it. But some months down you start craving for it but you can't find the mangoes.

Hayley said...

OMG Nive I am drooling here..got raw mangoes in the house..I am gonna make it right now...:)

Lakshmi ...Rasoi ki Malkin..northern and southern spices said...

Mango chutney looks colourful n gr.eat

shivu.k said...

super...we will try it

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog