Monday, July 26, 2010

Aloo Matar Sabji (Peas & Potato masala) - Microwave method

Tried and tasted by Nivedita 
Hi All,
Most of the times, my use of microwave is restricted to warm the food. But now a days I am trying to make new recipes in it, as it is like an extra hand for me. Morning is very busy time, cooking all the things at a time, Make coffee, boil the milk and drinking water, make breakfast, prepare the food for kid's lunch box. My two burner stove is not enough for me. Thats why, when ever I am short of time with many things to cook in short time, I take the help of microwave. There are only few dishes I always love to repeat it. One is Microwave Chocolate Cake (learnt it 2 months back, and its my daughter's favorite) which I repeat once a week. 
The second one is this, Aloo matar sabji which goes very well with Puri and hot chapatis.
Here is the way to make it 100 % in microwave
Ingredients :
Potato - 4 to 6 medium
Onion - 1 big, finely chopped
Fresh or frozen peas - 1/2 cup
Tomato - 1 big, grated
Curry leaves - few
Coconut milk - 1/4 cup(I used ready coconut powder and added it in warm water)
Oil - 1 tsp or you can skip it.
Salt to taste
Red chilly powder - 1 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
Coriander powder - 1 tsp
Garam masala - 1 tsp (I use MTR product which is mild but gives good aroma)
Fresh coriander to garnish
Wash the potatoes. Prick all over. 
Keep in the microwave on HIGH for 5 minutes or if your M/W has the option to boil the potatoes(I have) cook it with the option on for 5 minutes. Allow it to cool. Peel the skin and cut into cubes.
Cook the peas also in M/W on HIGH for 3 minutes. Keep aside
Take oil in M/W safe bowl  (if using). Keep on HIGH  for a minute. Remove and add onions. Or if not using oil, add the onions directly.
Keep on HIGH for 3 minutes and let the onions fry and change the color. I forgot to take the snap of that.
Next add the tomato and mix it. Cook on HIGH for 3 minute, stir in between. 
Remove it. Add all the dry powders. Cook for half a minute. Now other remaining ingredients except the coriander. Cook on HIGH for 4 to 5 minutes.
Keep it in the M/W for few minutes. 
Open and transfer it into the serving bowl. Garnish with fresh coriander.
Aloo matar sabji is ready to serve.
This makes for 4 to 6 persons.
My daughter loves (me too!) to have it with puri like this :
                                  
Sending this to two events :

And 
 Srivalli's 365 days of Microwave Cooking! event 



Keep Smiling,

12 comments:

Padmajha said...

Lovely Sabzi!No wonder Rajul loves it :)

Priya Suresh said...

Droolworthy sabji, looks yumm!

Mina Joshi said...

Nevedita

The sabji looks delicious!! But lots of steps and time consumimg when you are working full time.

I couldn't survive without my microwave and corning ware!! I tend to just do the tempering in my corningware saucepan, add the vegetables abd spices and transfer the saucepan to the microwave.

aipi said...

easy n yummy sabji.. loved it with poories.

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi all,
Minaji,
Thanks for the comments.
Yes, I have given it step by step.
You can put everything together at a time and cook on HIGH for 10 minutes.(After boiling the potatoes)
The taste will not differ.

Nithya said...

I love this too :) yummy :)

RV said...

Aloo mattar is one dish that I order in restaurants often. Looks mouthwatering.

Swathi said...

Aloo matar sabji with microwave method, looks delicious.

Reshmi said...

Another delish.. Have to try the microwave version..

hey there is a award for you in my blog.. do collect it

Hari Chandana P said...

nice and delicious subji.. looks perfect dear... love it :)

Sim said...

Thankyou, staying in a one room flat (studio) with a small kitchenette to call a kitchen and with half the ingredients missin that are common in Indian kitchen, the recipe was great and I could eat an Indian meal after 15 days.

chowringheelaxminagar said...



I visit your post. And I like it. plz keep continue.Thanks!!
Restaurant in Laxmi Nagar

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog