Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Avare kalu sambhar(Surti papdi sambhar) and Counting game!!

Tried and tasted by Nivedita
Hi all,
Every time I feel funny or odd to write that this is my favorite recipe!! Because I just love everything eatable in this world. So one more my favorite food to you all !!! he he he!!! 

I thought of taking the photo after I finish eating but before our lunch was over, Avare kalu sambhar got over. Thats why I could not take separate photo of Avare kalu sambhar.


First comes the game:
"Can you count and tell me how many times I have typed "Avare kalu" in this post!!!! It is just for fun. No prizes! 3 claps to everyone who counts correctly!"

Avare kalu is very common and mostly everyone's favorite because of its unity in diversity!! What is this I have written!! Let me think, why it came from my ink (oops from my key board). May be because of its taste. Avare kalu tastes different with every way it is cooked, and each food has its unique taste. Nothing can compete with avare kalu(As per me!)  So three cheers to Avare kalu!
Have I gone mad to write so funny! But Avare kalu makes me mad. Once I start eating Avare kalu sambhar, some one has to snatch the plate from me!! .
Many of my blogging  friends have posted the recipe for this sambhar and many other preparation with Avarekalu.
Here goes my version, (almost same as other's, can't help it!)
Avare kalu - 1 cup
Boil it with 1/2 tsp of salt till Avare kalu is tender.
Oil - 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds - 1 tsp
Jeera - 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 line
Hing - a pinch
Haldi - 1/2 tsp
Chilly powder - 1 tsp
Dalia powder - 2 tbsp
(this is must for my version)

To make paste:
Tomato - 1 big
Tamarind - 1 tbsp
Red dry chilly - 2 to 3
Jaggery - 2 tbsp
Sambhar powder - 2 tbsp(any mild brand)
Curry leaves - 1 line
Salt to taste
Mix and make it into a fine taste.
Heat oil in a vessel. Add mustard seeds, jeera and curry leaves. Add ready paste and cook it for few minutes.
Add chilly powder and haldi. Add 1 1/2 cup of water and cook till it starts boiling. Add boiled Avare kalu and dalia powder. Adjust the seasoning. Cook for few more minutes. And check the taste one more time. Add fresh coriander and serve with hot rice.
I am sending this Avare kalu sambhar recipe to Srivalli's event,  Announcing My Legume Love Affair, Eighteenth Helpi...
And here is the link as well as a link to Susan's host line-up, as  per Srivalli's instructions.

Keep smiling,

6 comments:

priya said...

I think u have typed 15 times (including the one in label)..hope i ll get those 3 claps frm u!...sambhar looks delicious, dear!

Nivedita Thadani said...

Hi Priya
Yes! Three claps to you and one more for so quick answer. Thanks dear!

Unknown said...

Sambar looks delicious.

Pari Vasisht said...

Nivedita, I can understand your love for these beans. as you had mentioned ur version is quite different from mine. Will try this when I get hold of them again.

Chitra said...

Looks delicious.:)

jayashree said...

Thanks Nivedita for dropping by my blog.I love North karnataka food & keep checking your blog for yummy recipes.You are doing a great job !

Search This Blog

Lijit Ad Wijit

My Shelfari Bookshelf

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog